Why should you choose a portable sewing machine? These machines are easy to set up quickly for when you just want to do some quick mending or you have some leftover fabric that you think you could make a comforter out of. Portable sewing machines don’t take up a lot of room and can be placed on just about any flat surface.
If you’ve been wanting to replace that old machine your mother gave you years ago, any of these options from several reputable manufacturers will make a good fit on your sewing table.
Brother XL2600I 4.5 / 5
This is a good pick if you value versatility and ease of use in a compact machine.
It can handle everyday sewing projects with 25 stitches that can be used for multiple purposes and handles complicated sewing projects with ease.
- It can handle complicated sewing projects
- The number of stitches it can use is quite big even for people who don’t think they’ll use all of them.
- The price is good for a beginners sewing machine
- It gets young novices away from the bulky old sewing machine that is a common turnoff for beginning crafters.
- There seems to be a special trick to getting the bobbin to cooperate when it comes to not letting the lower thread loop under the fabric.
- It doesn’t handle super thick layers of fabric very well.
List Price: $149.99 / Price: $79.68 / Save: $70.31 – Click here to know more.
Janome 11706 4.1 / 5
It’s Hello Kitty, so besides being cute, this is a good one for young beginners who don’t need a complicated portable sewing machine. This sewing machine is not only cute but it’s a great value for the money!
It has 11 stitch options and a four-step buttonhole.
- Compact enough to be used in a dorm room – important if you’re a college student who needs to mend something after an embarrassing accident and don’t want to call home to repair it.
- It’s easy for a 7-year-old to master
- Cute Hello Kitty theme
- The simplicity might be a turnoff for an advanced user
- Loud; can be a turnoff if you are sensitive to motor noises
- Hard time getting the right tension for stitches
List Price: $199.00/ Price: $119.00 / Save: $80.00 – Click here to know more.
JUKI MO644D 4.6 / 5
($695.00 Discount) – Check new price below.
This one’s been heavily discounted to “clearance” prices, but don’t let that fool you.
It’s like finding a bargain on something you’ve been looking for just about forever.
- Can handle up to four spools at once with color coded threading
- Has been called the heavy-duty “pickup truck” of portable sewing machines
- Can handle several layers of thick felt wool
- Threading can be tricky to figure out
- The placing of the foot can be awkward
List Price: $980.00 / Price: $285.00 / Save: $695.00 – Click here to know more.
Reliable 700SB 4.8 / 5
This might not look exactly like the portable sewing machines you’re used to, but it features a reliable 1:1 to 2:1 skip-stitch function and the ability to adjust both the stitch penetration and thread tension to best suit the project you might be working on at any given time. Overall it’s a great sewing machine.
- Great for hemming!
- Professionals like the affordability at less than $1000
- Portability lets this machine go places that most hemming machines can’t.
- Not a great machine for beginners
- Manual is often either not included or confusing
- Takes a lot of practice to master
Price: $499.00 – Click here to know more.
SINGER 9960 4.4 / 5
This may not be the “clunky Singer” that your grandmother used to have, but it is a Singer and that means it’s made by one of the top sewing machine manufacturers around.
- Computerized speed control
- More than 600 stitching options including 13 buttonholes
- Made by one of the most reliable portable sewing machine manufacturers in existence
- Easy to use
- The computerized options are friendly to people who haven’t used a computerized sewing machine before.
- Manual uses a lot of advanced jargon and can be confusing
- Lacks the on/off switch that the manual mentions
- Occasional missing parts upon order.
List Price: $699.99 / Price: $365.98 / Save: $334.01 – Click here to know more.
These portable sewing machines make for good picks if your sewing machine just feels outdated and you want to upgrade to take advantage of new features that other avid sewers have been raving about. Check them out to see what’s new in the world of sewing machines.